The Bran Report

It's good for parts of you that you'd probably rather not think about.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Thousandaire

Today I got a cheque for a thousand pounds.

I won't be going crazy, since I owe Oxford £700. Also, I owe my parents seven thousand. Also, I owe the government seventeen thousand. Still, it's nice to be able to put off extending my overdraft a little.

You might ask, if I have this breathing space, why am I still going to the Quick-e-mart to earn sublegal shillings and pence? Well, it's simple. For weeks now I've only been going because I'm too nice to make my employers look for someone else. I'm free in a fortnight, and that;s good enough for me.

This also demonstrates an alrming bit of emotional leftism in me: I feel that any old fool can earn money, but being handed it says "What you're doing is worthwhile." It's like getting a little blue ribbon from the state. And I like that.

1 Comments:

At 7:05 pm, July 24, 2007, Blogger okapian said...

I have a nice story about blue ribbons and Iowa, but since I got up at 4 this morning to catch a flight that was cancelled, meaning I'll be missing a night's sleep tonight to make up for it, I'm too tired to think. So just assume it was long and semi-unrelated to your post, while at the same time drained of all humor in my telling of it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home