The Bran Report

It's good for parts of you that you'd probably rather not think about.

Friday, August 03, 2007

A Cautionary Tale

Peter Griffin: Holy crap, Uhura's black?
Me: Ha ha! How remarkably oblivious to his surroundings that character is. Anyway, that's enough animation. Time for some space westerns.

(Later that day)

Me: I wonder if it's significant that there is only one black character on Serenity, and he's a mysterious outsider? Kind of like Othello, in a way. You see...
P: What about Zoe?
Me: Oh.

In my defence, I had noticed that she is a) Conscientious b) an unstopable avatar of war and c) super-hott, so I'd like to argue that this just represents an enlightened set of priorites. Think that'll fly?

3 Comments:

At 1:59 am, August 04, 2007, Blogger okapian said...

On a semiunrelated note, I can't determine if I'm unobservant, racist or completely unracist when I had to be told, repeatedly, that this man was black.

After weeks of not linking, I sure hope that link works. Otherwise, it's Harold Ford Jr's Wikipedia article.

 
At 4:45 pm, August 04, 2007, Blogger Nathan said...

I must admit to being unable to laugh at the joke in that episode of Scrubs where Todd describes Carla as black.

I conclude that it means we're all very sophisticated and post-racial.

 
At 8:08 pm, August 04, 2007, Blogger Charlie said...

She's Dominican!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home