The Bran Report

It's good for parts of you that you'd probably rather not think about.

Thursday, April 26, 2007

√2=1

It's one in the morning, and I'm laughing in the dark. So much so, that I have gotten out of bed, turned on the computer, and fired up blogger to tell you about it.

The punch line is "What's the square root of two? Answer: one!"

There's something wrong with me.

PS. The set up to that punchline is the best explanation I've been able to come up with so far as to why "infinitesimal" is not the same as "zero" (and consequently that 1÷0≠∞, and I don't care what anyone says). If I have time I'll draw it for you one of these days. Certainly not tomorrow though, as I have to think up good executive sounding words to sugar-coat peak oil and then make a powerpoint show about them. For real.

PPS. The other day I said "recite the digits of pi backwards" and chuckled to myself for hours.

PPPS. Yes, at my own joke.

PPPPS. Yes, at my own joke about transcendental numbers..

PPPPPS. What are you, Gandalf?

2 Comments:

At 7:15 am, April 26, 2007, Blogger Peter said...

I think Scotland is destroying your mind.

 
At 5:49 pm, April 26, 2007, Blogger Nathan said...

Actually, it's this powerpoint junk. I miss the good old days of abstract math.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home