The Bran Report

It's good for parts of you that you'd probably rather not think about.

Friday, March 30, 2007

I am a leaf on the wind

One of my big things is picking up on the hot new things of a few years back. That's why I'm obsessively listening to Sufjan Stevens, and why I'm halfway through watching Firefly.

Firstly, this thing has about a million quotable lines. It's like Casablanca in that respect, where a good 50% of the diologue is so classic people think it was said by Shakespeare and made everyone nearby say ""Good one, Shakespeare"".

Secondly, It's a western. No, I don't mean like Star Wars, a sci-fi with anti-authoritarian themes and a budget for flights to Tunisia. I mean, like, the opening credits have horses and a nasal guy singing about how the big sky meakes him feel free. It's about veterans of a war of seccesion who live a criminal lifestyle in the poorly-policed frontier. So far I have seen a duel over a prostitute's honour and a bar brawl where a guy got thrown through a plate-glass saloon window. It's seriously a western. There are also spaceships.

I love genre hybids.

Thirdly, I'm kind of glad I saw Serenity before the series. Although it's the wrong way around, chronologically... man, Serenity was brutal enough when I didn't have a crush on more than half the characters.

Damn those Reavers. Damn them to hell.

2 Comments:

At 5:04 pm, March 31, 2007, Blogger Maxwell Edison said...

Firefly is awesome.

 
At 10:47 pm, April 02, 2007, Blogger Maxwell Edison said...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6517155.stm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home