The Bran Report

It's good for parts of you that you'd probably rather not think about.

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Lexicon

Smart: does it mean "intelligent", "educated", "capable" or "crafty"?

Go-to: does it mean "first choice", "stand-by" or both of these?

Sima (verb): to find in the street. This is unlikely to catch on, since it takes about the same amount of effort to say "I sima'd ninepence this weekend" and "I pick up pennies I see in the gutter because they are non-neglible fraction of my weekly income". Also, it sounds like the horrible English voice saying "simmer". It's really more of an exclamation to silently rejoice with when you ctach a glint of copper in the corner of your eye.

I have just come from work and have to be back there in eight hours. I have made some bad life decisions.

3 Comments:

At 11:26 am, March 18, 2007, Blogger Maxwell Edison said...

"I sima'd your mum!"

...nah, it'll never catch on.

 
At 5:08 pm, March 19, 2007, Blogger Peter said...

I like it as an exclamation.

What is it exactly that you do these days? I assume that you no longer run the paper route, but you are quite opaque with the details of your new career. Are you a coal miner?

 
At 9:47 pm, March 19, 2007, Blogger Nathan said...

I no longer only run the paper route. (Fun fact: I recently covered a different round at short notice for a co-worker, and was asked by a "customer" if I was covering for my daughter. I loftily claimed that I "normally" work in the stockroom.)

Yeah, I now replenish the Lucozade Sport Energy Drinks and Carling Black Labels and Baked Beans and such when they sell out, working mostly at night. I like to think that I am earning my proletariat credentials.

There's also a aspect to it which is like deliberately not eating before a special meal out, or working extra hard at four o'clock on a Friday. If my fellowship at Durham comes through then this is the lasty shitty job I will ever have, and it'd be nice to round out the list with the most hilariously demeaning entry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home