The Bran Report

It's good for parts of you that you'd probably rather not think about.

Sunday, May 20, 2007

BLOCKBUSTER!

Guess what I fired up for the first time in a while? Simcinema!

It reminds me of the days when we'd drink Baker's BrĂ¼e1 and sit around the table in Regent Street, trying to think of ways to remake the arthouse classic Bagpuss shrugged for the mass market. When the rich seam of the Newman's Own2 trology ran dry, we tried to make a deliciously opaque, viscous coktail of a film: Jacksonville, Trail of Tears3.

Well, guess it's time to get my nostalgia on by making more hilariously offensive summer releases. Hurray!


1. A viscous, opaque, pint of madness.
2. "Paul Newman fights the mob for control of Argentina's puppet president. Quentin Tarantino directs".
3. "President Andrew Jackson plans to relocate the Cherokee west of the Mississippi... unless a kung-fu shaman of the Crow tribe can stop him. Chow-yun Fat stars."

2 Comments:

At 6:06 pm, May 20, 2007, Blogger Peter said...

I think that Bagpuss Shrugged remains one of my favorite movie names of all time. I get a picture of Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged with a mrowling Bagpuss and a tumbling Earth.

 
At 10:07 pm, May 20, 2007, Blogger Nathan said...

Before today I had never noticed these themes in bagpuss:

1) The antebellum South. Somehow this is particularly true with Medelaine the Ragdoll and gabriel the Toad.

2) The Golden Bough. I feel certain Bagpuss will be banned in parts of the US.

3) Jungian psychology. This is particularly the case with Proffessor Yaffle and the Mice.

If I can think of three or four more miscelaneous cultures or philosophies, I may have an undergraduate humanities essay on my hands.

Man, I think I just heard some folk music and a clash of worldviews. I'll get back to you.

Wake up, be bright, be golden and light
Bagpuss, oh hear what I sing
.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home