The Bran Report

It's good for parts of you that you'd probably rather not think about.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

I'm looking at you, Stealth

OK, so it turns out that my intuitive grasp of the German language is not as good as I had hoped. We're barely past the field-full-of-empty holes stage and I have no clue what's going on.

I have, though, been reminded of one of my favourite things about the original Star Trek. It was so blisteringly progressive in it's day, and so dated now.

1966: "In the future, women will be able to go into space!
2006: "So you have one woman on the crew and she's... the receptionist? Huh."

1966: "Look, we've got a Soviet, a black person, some kind of Asian, plus that dude has hella pointy ears (great job, SFX!)"
2006: "And they're all being commanded by... a blond American male? Huh."

To be fair, we as a society still seem to be able to produce movies with three main protagonists whose names may as well be The Black One, The Woman, and The Normal One.

Anyway, enough outrage: back to Klingons shouting at Vulcans in German.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home