The Bran Report

It's good for parts of you that you'd probably rather not think about.

Saturday, December 09, 2006

This Summer: The Life of Nathan Hill

Conform, Consume, Obey.

So, here's how it works:

1. Open your library (iTunes, Winamp, Media Player, iPod, etc)
2. Put it on shuffle/Random
3. Press play
4. For every question, type the song that's playing
5. When you go to a new question, press the next button

Opening Credits:Cat Power, The Coat is Always On
OK, so my film is apparently going to be quite dark.

Waking Up: The Violent Femmes, Gimme the Car
I'm thinking we open during the surly gothic teenage years that I never really experienced. Still, I assume we're translating this to the American context so I guess I'd be a goth in semi-rural Florida. Goth leathers + 90% humidity = I'm sure that has to be a bad idea.

First Day At School: Rogue Wave, Kicking the Heart Out
Since we've already established that I was a teenager at the start of the film, I'm going to re-name this "first day at a new school?"

Falling In Love: Ladysmith Black Mambazo- Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes
It works! I am even a poor boy.

Breaking Up: R.E.M.- Let Me In
This dates from the period when REM where all about electric guitars, but had gone off having distinct notes. I heard it was about Kurt Kobain's death, but it seems to fit pretty well.

Prom: Jimi Hendrix, Purple haze
I've actually never been to a prom, so let's load up on clichés for this section. Based on the hot lixx, I'm guessing I'm a wallflower who passes a joint around a circle outside the fire escape. It even fits narratively, if these chapters are in chronological order.

Life's OK: Belle and Sebastien, F this S
Even though my methodist upbringing prevents me from writing this song's full title, it is a pleasant, relaxed piece of music. It's actually from a soundtrack ("Storytelling"), though. Is that cheating?

Breakdown: R.E.M. I'll take the rain
Despite the title, this is actually a pretty hopeful song.

Driving: Simon and Garfunkel, Homeward Bound
Well, it tells a story, but we can work that in. So at this point I am, presumably, driving home. I think anything else would confuse the viewer.

Flashback: Blur, No Distance Left to Run
Regretful?

Getting Back Together: Shins- Saint Simon
I can never remember if Saint Simon was the one stoned to death by Saint Paul or the one shot with arrows and consequently painted nekkid for fifteen hundred years. Either way, this song is happy enough to do its duty here.

Wedding: Mogwai- You don't know Jesus
I'm starting to think that my film is going to be a cult classic among people who love to be different.

Sex Scene: Modest Mouse- The Cold Part
Well, I am pretty... wait, what are you trying to say?

Birth of Child: Catatonia- My Selfish Gene
We may have to talk about this one with the editors, because otherwise we've got a very, very dark segement of the film here.

Final Battle: Wamdue project- King of my Castle
Haha, I remember that song. This suggests that the fight scene will be rather up-beat and well choreographed.

Death Scene: Sufjan Stevens- The Lord God Bird
I aim to have a Mercutio-style death.

Funeral Song: Radiohead- Everything in it's right place
I don't know, man. I'm not even sure who's funeral this is meant to be.

Dance Sequence: Band of Horses- For Wicked Gill
I'm not 100% sure how you'd go about dancing to this, but I don't think our target audience dances much.

End Credits: Beight, Invisible City
I'm still not clear what this song is about, but that's OK. it'l make people think our film is deep and meaningful.

OK! So the moral of this story is that you don't have to listen to rock or metal in order to become wish-fulfilment for goths. I feel better about myself already!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home