The Bran Report

It's good for parts of you that you'd probably rather not think about.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Rain check

I have to adjust my lifestyle and set my alarm to go off earlier by the amount of time it takes me to think of something witty and type. I will multiplex this time so that my toasted sandwich delights can cool down before I put them in the bag, thereby avoiding a tropical morass forming around my lunch.

For today, I'm just going to have to take a rain check.

Note for my British readers: This derives from baseball, not cricket, so here's what it means.

NO: The "check" has revelaed that the "rain" is beyond acceptable limits, so we will put the covers out and drink tea for the next six hours. This event should be considered postponed to some indefinate time.
YES: On account of "rain" the "ball game" cannot go ahead as planned, but since you have "paid for a ticket" you may have this promissary note, or "check" (Cheque) for free admission at the next game. This event should be considered postponed to a definite date in the future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home