The Bran Report

It's good for parts of you that you'd probably rather not think about.

Monday, December 11, 2006

Clarification

OK, you asked for it. Which is to say, one person in the comments told me I was being cryptic and all the time I'm blogging, I'm not worrying my head about Pelton wheels.

Project Awesome: a winter undertaking

Tonight: Stop blogging and worry my head about Pelton Wheels.

Tomorrow: Convert my worry into .png and .tex files. Buy a bus ticket.

Wednesday: Redeem my bus ticket for travel to the dreaming spires. Write as I go. Submit my analysis and apologetics by email.

Thursday: Look for work in Oxford. Secretly hope not to find any.

Friday- 2007: Mornings: Search for PhD placements in Britain, America and the Commonwealth.
Evenings: Play poker, eat potatoes and gravy, debate whether Luke was right or wrong to leave Degobah.

Also, I guess I'll tell you about Edinburgh. They've got a pretty good Renewables group up there in the frozen north, and I've been trading emails with a Professor Barthelmie. In summary, the list I linked a few days ago was last year's, but they didn't get anyone to fill it so the place is still open (and still carries a stipend of more than twenty thousand dollarz per annum).

Most of the researchers up there are from "environmental science" or geography backgrounds, which means they're hazy about vectors and break out in cold sweat when they see verbs and numbers all jumbled together in a fixed-width font. What this project really needs though is someone who can think about Navier-Stokes equations and who spent their childhood writing things like
10 print"Nathan is awesome"
20 goto 10


They also said that self-effacing jokes, while traditionally regarded as counter-productive in a CV, demonstrated a chutzpah that is welcome in Caledonia, and that I should write again in May. That's kind of awkward since it means I won't even be able to apply until after other places would want to have had a confirmation or rejection, but I suppose I'll figure it out as I go along. Edinburgh certainly comes lower on my list than a suitable department, should it exist, at Oxford or MIT.

We shall see!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home