The Bran Report

It's good for parts of you that you'd probably rather not think about.

Saturday, June 02, 2007

Megagaltastic!

Current mood: Vocabulaire.

This morning I woke up from a dream about ghost pirates1, sat straight up in bed and said "Everyone is misusing the word sensible to mean prudent!"

On my way to work I found myself stuggling to phrase something: I needed an intensifier. What is it? Am I dead adjective? Am I proper adjective? Oh, now I remember: I'm rather adjective.

I'm rather glad I never got the twang of my Anglo-Welsh or Anglo-caribean grandparents. Despite my Debnshur upbringing, I never promise to do things dreckly2, or call shopkeepers my lover. There are many reasons I'll never be a BBC radio announcer from the 1950s, but my accent is not one of them.3

However, my verbal styles are not adamant and, it seems, you don't have to be around me to influence me. Case in point: I have been known to refer to "July second" instead of "the second of July". I refer to sidewalks instead of pavements, TV shows instead of TV programs and, when on a price-gun safari, I keep prices in my head by reciting mantras of the form "custard powder: dollar forty-nine".

It's like the Clinton years all over again.

1. Actually true.
2. Directly.
3. I am too radical for the strictures of the black-and-white era.

5 Comments:

At 6:03 pm, June 02, 2007, Blogger Nathan said...

If one more person says "Urbane" when they mean "Urban" I may pout.

 
At 3:57 am, June 03, 2007, Blogger okapian said...

I like July 2nd. God Bless America! (One of those is sarcastic, the other is not. I'll let those of you who know me know, and those who don't not know.)

 
At 3:58 am, June 03, 2007, Blogger okapian said...

Oh, and I disagree about how much sensible and prudent diverge.

 
At 1:08 pm, June 04, 2007, Blogger Rob said...

tv programmes*

they've affected more than you know.

 
At 5:51 pm, June 04, 2007, Blogger Nathan said...

I direct your attention to a web page that anyone in the whole world can write whatever they want on:
It says I'm right and you're wrong.

Well, actually, I was hoping you wouldn't click through. I'll come clean: it says program is ubiquitous in the USA, and every other English-speaking person in the world uses one or the other at random.

Personally, it is program that is threatened by show: programmes are things that are either a) a set of computer algorithms or b) bought at the theatre. Theater. Theatr. Playhouse.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home